OUR ENVIRONMENTAL MISSION STATEMENT
Our mission is to provide our guests with comfortable, good quality accommodation and local produce in our breakfasts, whilst at the same time being committed to environmental issues and reducing our impact where possible. We continually monitor, improve and change our environmental performance, from the goods we use, our working practices, and encouraging our guests to support us in our mission. We also source local products where possible to reduce our global footprint and support local (or Welsh) businesses. We have the following measures in place to help us achieve this:
- Single use plastic– We have reduced our usage of single use plastics throughout the B&B – by changing breakfast condiments from plastic sachets to glass jars, and our butter portions to foil wrapped (all Welsh products). Our water for packed lunches is in glass bottles and is bottled at source here on Anglesey. We supply bars of soap wrapped in paper in all our en-suite/bathrooms, and wall mounted refillable shower gel/shampoo in our showers.
- Our meat– is produced by a local butcher and is Welsh pork, and our eggs are Welsh free range and supplied from a local farmer here on Anglesey.
- Environmental groups– We are members of various groups/associations that are committed to the environmental issues, such as Plastic Free Anglesey– which we have been recognised as Plastic Free Champions, Surfers Against Sewage – Angleseyand Surfers Against Sewage– countrywide.Refill– which is a national award-winning campaign to introduce refill stations all over the country at various locations to reduce the use of single use plastic water bottles, which is encouraging holiday makers, walkers, visitors and the general public to refill their water bottles whenever and wherever possible. We are also Litter Champions for Keep Wales Tidy, which amongst other things we attend organised litter picks on the beaches of Anglesey whenever possible, and try to encourage everyone to pick up at least 3 pieces of rubbish when they go on the beach and also take their litter home with them.
- Towels– we do not change the towels in the bedrooms daily (unless there is a necessity to change them) for various reasons; too much detergent going into the water system is harmful to the environment, repetitive washing causes micro plastics to be released into our waterways and eventually into the oceans, it is also a huge waste of water. If our guests are staying for more than 4 nights we will change the towels half way through their stay. We are grateful for our guests participation and understanding with this.
- Waste– We have a breakfast pre-ordering system to avoid as much food waste as possible, and avoid delays at breakfast. We compost all our raw vegetable waste and our cooked food waste is collected. All our general waste is collected and recycled accordingly.
- Electricity– Lamps in reception and the guest lounge are on timers to reduce electricity wastage and light pollution. All light bulbs throughout the B&B are energy saving LCD bulbs.
- Milk– As part of our ongoing mission to reduce our plastic usage we are in the process of sourcing our milk to be supplied in glass bottles, and delivered to the door. This will reduce our plastic usage whilst supporting local dairy farmers and local milk delivery businesses.
We are always looking for ways to improve our product, and our guest experience without losing sight of how our business will effect the environment. With our guests understanding, assistance and support with our commitment to protect the environment, our mission here at The Prince Llewelyn will make a difference and it will go a small way to saving our planet.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, as you can see it is very important to us.
Charles and Theresa